By Donald R. Hill
During this complete historical past, Donald Hill opens a window on medieval and classical engineering. The ebook specializes in on Greece, Rome and medieval Western Europe, but in addition comprises fascinating info on heart japanese technology.
Documenting over 1800 years, Donald Hill illustrates how classical and medieval engineers designed early irrigation structures, dams, bridges, clocks and the way they harnessed the facility of either water and wind. operating mostly with out a quantified, medical foundation for his or her designs, those early engineers studied the homes of fabrics and how during which fluids and solids behaved in sure stipulations. They then utilized this information to successfully remedy difficulties. This interesting learn files over 1800 years of early engineering.
Read or Download A History of Engineering in Classical and Medieval Times PDF
Best engineering books
This publication deals a complete assurance of approach simulation and flowsheeting, precious for undergraduate scholars of Chemical Engineering and strategy Engineering as theoretical and sensible aid in procedure layout, technique Simulation, strategy Engineering, Plant layout, and technique keep watch over classes.
A good reliability programme is an integral part of each product's layout, trying out and effective construction. From the failure research of a microelectronic gadget to software program fault tolerance and from the speeded up existence trying out of mechanical parts to verification, a standard underlying philosophy of reliability applies.
Multivariable keep an eye on thoughts remedy problems with advanced specification and modelling blunders elegantly however the complexity of the underlying arithmetic is far greater than awarded in conventional single-input, single-output keep watch over classes. Multivariable keep watch over structures makes a speciality of regulate layout with continuous references to the sensible facets of implementation.
This examine monograph offers chosen components of purposes within the box of regulate platforms engineering utilizing computational intelligence methodologies. a few purposes and case reviews are brought. those methodologies are expanding utilized in many purposes of our day-by-day lives. ways comprise, fuzzy-neural multi version for decentralized identity, version predictive keep an eye on in accordance with time established recurrent neural community improvement of cognitive structures, advancements within the box of clever a number of versions dependent Adaptive Switching keep watch over, designing army education simulators utilizing modelling, simulation, and research for operational analyses and coaching, tools for modelling of structures in keeping with the appliance of Gaussian techniques, computational intelligence thoughts for strategy regulate and picture segmentation process in response to converted particle swarm optimized-fuzzy entropy.
- Control of Cracking in Reinforced Concrete Structures
- Engineering Interactive Systems: Second Conference on Human-Centered Software Engineering, HCSE 2008, and 7th International Workshop on Task Models and Diagrams, TAMODIA 2008, Pisa, Italy, September 25-26, 2008. Proceedings
- Bridge Engineering Handbook: Superstructure Design (2nd Edition)
- The Simple Science of Flight: From Insects to Jumbo Jets (Revised and Expanded Edition)
- Power Electronics: Principles and Applications
- Biodegradable Polymer Based Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering
Additional info for A History of Engineering in Classical and Medieval Times
57) for finding a unique solution of such class problems of mechanics. 00722 . 3779λ1 . 3); the Poisson ratio ν (λ ) is the ratio of lateral deformation ε ⊥ to longitudinal ε ; ε 0 is the change of the length of the sample because of only swelling effect. 63) we will have: ε = ε 0 (λ ) = αλ . 4). 64) will correspond to the case of fastened sample at fixed ends and boundedness of its longitudinal deformation. 5 Dependence of elasticity modulus polymer material. E (λ ) on the swelling parameter l of Under the action of only corrosive medium, in the sample there will arise thrust stress of size σ = − E (λ )ε 0 (λ ) .
46) The obtained result certifies on very negligible water absorption of a polypropylene and its well water-resistance. Bounds of applicability of exact analytic solutions. The characteristics of water absorption and chemical resistance are defined on samples whose sizes are regulated by appropriate standards that define the form of the samples, test conditions, their duration. In some cases, while conducting tests, for providing one dimensionality of diffusion flux, the end face or lateral surfaces of samples are hydro-isolated.
5 on a specific example we will numerically show quality and quantity influence of corrosive liquid medium, that is, influence of thrust forces on the character of defining relations. 4, write the models of deformation of polymer material of the brand PS with regard to and regardless of the influence of corrosive liquid medium, that is, thrust forces for λ = 0 and λ = 1 . 94) we can note the followings: • The coefficient a(λ ) λ =1 corresponding to the case of influence of corrosive liquid medium, that is, the case of influence of swelling of polymer material is higher by 25% than the coefficient a0 λ =0 that Interaction of Physico–Mechanical and Physico–Chemical Properties 47 corresponds to the case of regardless of the influence of corrosive liquid medium, that is, the case when there is no influence of swelling of polymer material.
A History of Engineering in Classical and Medieval Times by Donald R. Hill